Edit: Five more facts added!
Since a few of you seemed interested in learning more about October (you weird people xD) I've added some more little tidbits to the end of the list! They're also something of a thank you to Broeckchen
for a wonderful idea, and if you direct your attention back to point number 6, you can see what I mean~
I yield! You win! You all win!! Ohgod, I guess you guys really
want to know more about October: I was tagged by ZirSeii
, AND tashaj4de
After that, it looks like there's no avoiding this. Time to get to business. //cracks knucklesPrepare to be disappointed- //KICKEDHere's the dork:And here's the facts!
1) When I was working out October's personality, a lot of his key traits were created because I wanted to rp someone who was very different from my other characters. That's why, initially, I had planned for him to be someone who was outgoing and friendly, but secretly selfish and deceitful. However, after using him in rps and watching him develop, October ended up becoming someone who cared too
much about other people to willingly hurt them in any way. So while he may no longer be selfish, he still tries to keep his distance, because he's convinced himself that he will only ever bring people misfortune.
2) Despite his love for all things Halloween/horror related, October is by no means "fearless". He's actually terrified of clowns. And chickens. The former is completely irrational (although, let's face it, clowns can be pretty damn horrifying), but the latter has something to do with a traumatizing childhood incident. Let's just say that he's now very wary of chickens, and looks at them in the same way that most people do the Cuccoos from the Legend of Zelda.
3) I don't know when I decided on it, but I never planned for October to have an accent. From the very first time I rp-ed with him, it just....happened. I feel that it really suits him, though, and adds to the whole "country bumpkin" feel I was trying to go for. So yeah, he's got something of a Southern accent.
Which is more or less kind of weird, because he was actually inspired a bit by my dad's childhood, but he grew in a small farming community in Canada-
but whatever! I'll admit, though, it does make it a little hard to find a good English voice actor for him. Although, if I had to pick a Japanese voice, he'd probably sound something like Oz from Pandora Hearts.
4) In case you haven't already noticed, gender means nothing to October when it comes to romance. He'll be attracted to anyone who can make his heart go doki doki.
5) The reason he fights with a battleaxe is because I really wanted my character to be a heavy-hitter with a weapon that's pretty much as tall as they are. xD That was probably the very first thing I decided on for October aside from his colour. (Fun fact: The reason why I decided to choose orange as his aura colour in the first place is because, before me, no one else in the group had any variation of it)
Since myths and fairytales are a common theme for RWBY characters, I wanted October to have one as well. Initially, he was suppose to relate to Puck/Robin Goodfellow (a kind of trickster in English folklore, similar to Brownies), but scrapped that idea quickly enough. That's why he ended up being Halloween-themed it would be cool to have a RWBY team inspired by different holidays actually, but I think I'd still like for him to have a stronger tie to a fairytale. If I can make it work he may end up being influenced by Robin Hood, or Peter Pan, or some version of the Grim Reaper. Or maybe he won't change at all, who knows.
After getting a comment from Broe, telling me that they already thought he was based on the legend of the Jack o'Lantern, I've realized that it was one fairytale (if you will) that I have been severely overlooking. Seriously, I don't think I've shown enough of October for other people to realize just how perfectly it suits him. Even the coincidence of his last name- Broe's being wonderful and is letting me use the idea. So here, in a way, these new facts I've just added are dedicated to them~
7) Despite his unhealthily low self-esteem, October actually has fairly high self-confidence. He really doesn't care much about what people might think about him, so if you need an idiot-for-hire look no further! Ahaha, but on a more serious note, he doesn't think he has to maintain an image of "grace" or anything like that, so he has no issues doing whatever he has to in order to cheer someone up, or defeat a Grimm.
8) He doesn't get really flustered over most things, but as soon as you find something that can make him awkward //coughs//Beingpet//coughs
congratulations, you now have something you can hold over him. ....Most of anything that can fall into this category has to either do with signs of affection, or anything even mildly sexual.
9) Where despite all protests or excuses
October has a passion for serving people by fighting Grimm, his sister Nina has a very different field she's dedicated to, and has a passion for mechanics. Initially, I was thinking about making October an only child, but when the question of where he got his weapon came up I knew he had to have a sibling- there's no way he'd be able to make one for himself! And although that may have been the biggest reason why October has a sister, she actually ended up playing a much bigger role in his development.
10) Give him some time and he'll come to love Team CROM as much as he loves sweets. Maybe even as much as he loves pumpkin pie. It's guaranteed he'll end up doing some stupid things for Cloris, Rei, and Morrel at some point: whether it's for their happiness or their safety, however, is circumstantial. Please, someone keep an eye out for him so he isn't too much of an idiot!
Aaaaand that's everything! I actually had no idea what to say about October, but I hope you found this interesting enough to read? Of course if there are any questions about October here, I'd be happy to answer them!
Now for who I tag:: Gotta get the rest of team CROM in on this!
11) Unlike how it seems to be with many Pharos students, October is actually not all that oblivious to romance. He can often tell when people are flirting (whether with him or someone else, it doesn't matter), and has absolutely no quarrels with flirting back. Although there are some exceptions, love itself does not make him flustered. ....Unless he starts reading too much into an innocent gesture. Then things can get awkward.
12) It's more-or-less a headcanon of mine that October pierced his ears way back when he was first learning to fight. I imagine that there was a boy in his class with earrings who would often get teased/picked on because of them, so October tried to protect him the best way he knew how: by piercing his own ears, and standing up to the others with an "I don't care what you think" attitude. After that, he grew pretty attached to them. He thinks they make him look cooler.
13) Is very much a morning person. Is the sun up? Yes? Chances are that October's up too. It's been hard for him to adjust to a "normal" sleep schedule, so he's stopped trying. This does mean that he's not much of a night owl, and will probably have issues staying up late if there's nothing interesting going on.
14) He has pretty good tolerance for the cold, and as a result loves chilly, windy days. Even when he doesn't need a jacket October will still wear one, just in case someone he's with is obviously bothered by the weather- then he can slip it off and give it to them. On the flipside, hot weather is the bane of October's existence, and he doesn't do very well when there's not a trace of cold wind in the air.
15) As far as classes go, October's a pretty dedicated student. Although he doesn't show it well, he actually enjoys learning, but is a little embarrassed that people might think of him as a nerd for it. He likes the classes that push you physically, which may be obvious, but the ones that work your brain are what really intrigue him. His favourite classes are probably Phys Ed. and History.